Knitting Notions is a family owned and operated business. We opened in 2005 with our first product, our handmade Yarn Swifts, and have added to our product line as our business grew. We now produce a large line of handmade wood and leather products as well as hand dyed merino wool yarns. 99% of the products that we sell are made by us or another American small business.
Nanciann is an elegant rectangular lace stole that is worked in one piece from end to end and may be easily customized to any size you like, be it a smaller scarf size or larger stole. There are only five different stitches in the whole design, so it’s a great first lace pattern that is easy to memorize and relaxing to knit without being boring. Both beginner and experienced lace knitters alike will appreciate the nice rhythm of the twig pattern as it is worked between the two borders.
Nanciann is offered as both a written and charted pattern with a large, easy-to-read chart that is big enough to read while watching TV and knitting!
I conceived of this design as means of teaching newer lace knitters various skills needed to work a perfectly knitted and blocked lace shawl. The instructions include detailed explanations and photo-tutorials for skills such as:
- How to match the tension of your bind off and cast on
- The math involved with customizing the shawl/scarf size
- How to weigh your yarn to maximize your yardage
- How to work with hand dyed yarn (if you choose one) by showing exactly how to alternate when changing skeins by carrying the yarn up the back
- How to block the stole
Nanciann was designed as the perfect showcase for your favorite hand-dyed yarn. The main stitch pattern—a stylized version of a traditional twig pattern—has a lovely texture that really allows the beauty of the yarn to shine. This center pattern is flanked by a traditional Shetland edging but knitted all in one piece, giving the appearance of a knitted-on border.
Fingering or sock weight yarn is recommended, but heavier weight yarn may be used as well.
- Skill Level: Advanced Beginner
- Materials: 2 skeins of Knitting Notions Classic Merino Superwash Sock yarn; Knitting Notions Classic Merino Bamboo yarn
- Finished Dimensions: 70" along long edge and 18" across short side
- Yarn Requirements: 780 yards
- Gauge: 20 stitches = 4” in stockinette, washed and blocked
- Needles: 24" or 32" size 5 US circular or size needed to achieve gauge, an extra size 5 US or a size 10.5 US for the cast on; size 9 US for the bind off;
Designed by Dee O'Keefe of Designs by Dee.
Used by permission from Dee O'Keefe
Write a reviewYour Name:
Your Review: Note: HTML is not translated!
Rating: Bad Good